Logo Viasur Andalucía
Viasur, quality rental houses in a beautiful setting, established 1995.
  • 958 793 667
  • 637 517 523

Monuments in Lecrin Valley

Acéquias Return

Parish church, dedicated to San Antón and built in the middle of the 16th century with a nave and a tower in two parts and topped with an iron weather vane forged in the 18th century. It has polychromatic altar ornamentation in a perfect state of repair and completed in the Mudejar style. It has been declared a Site of Cultural Interest.

Albuñuelas Go to Top Return

Parish church of the Saviour: It was the Convent of the Missionary Fathers of St Peter of Alcantara and was converted into the present building on the site of the old church. It was built in about 1726 and is a simple work excellently proportioned, with a nave lined with chapels with vaulted ceilings, a cupola and a main chapel.

The Hermitage of San Sebastián: In the lower barrio it is a meeting place for the villagers. The construction is a very simple rectangular layout, with a white exterior and roofed with Arab tiles. It dates from the beginning of the 16th century.

The Tower of Tio Bayo: in the old part of the Upper Barrio it is a medieval construction which formed part of the defensive system in the Mussulman epoch. A work of dry stone with a rectangular layout with ashlars in its corners, it is 8 metres tall and was possibly built in the Nazari period (14th century.) It is a site of Cultural Interest of the Spanish Historical Heritage.

Béznar Go to Top Return

Church of San Antón in the Gothic-Mudejar style between 1525 and 1530 and consecrated to Santa Maria the Elder and after an epidemic in the 18th centurz dedicated to San Antón. It has three naves separated by pointed arches and covered with a wooden ceiling. The church has two entrances; one in the wall of the Evangelico nave and the other into a small choirstall, with an organ which is a in a bad state of deterioration.

Hermitage of San Antón. On this site in antiquity there was a Moorish village and in the surrounding countryside there are many remains of Moorish tombs, leading to the theory that here there was a Moorish cemetery.

Hermitage of the Holy Trinity; could found in the Barrio Bajo but disappeared with the advent of the reservoir. The barrio was reconstructed and also the image of the Holy Trinity was moved here. It is a pretty place surrounded by orange trees and next to the reservoir.

The Bridge ofTablate: situated in the gorge of the same name, it was the site of a battle during the Morisco rebellion in the 16th century.

Royal Escutcheon of 1789 can be found in the old Ayuntamiento.

Cónchar Go to Top Return

Parish Church dedicated to San Pedro. It was built between 1610 and 1614 with a single nave, a Mudejar facade and quarried bricks.

Atalaya or Watchtower of circular construction built with ashlars and with no access from the outside to thwart surprise attacks by enemies. It measures 7 metres high and 14.5m in circumference.

Acequia de los Arcos, aquaduct constructed at the beginning of the 20th century.

Cozvíjar Go to Top Return

Parish Church of San Pedro Built in the 16th century in the Mudejar style it has one nave without a main chapel.

Hermitage of la Virgen de la Cabeza Built in the 16th century and according to tradition it was built on this site because it was here that a farmer found the image of a head to which they added a body and over time this has become one of the images most revered in the zone.

The Manor house of the Conde de Villamena (17 century)

Chite Go to Top Return

Parish Church de la Inmaculada (16th century), dedicated since antiquity to Snata Cruz, it has a rectangular plan with a single nave, and a wooden ceiling in Mudejar style. It also has a small choirstall.

Chite Castle is sited on a high hill above the confluence of the Rio Izbor and the Chite gorge, on a rectangular base with rounded corners and orientated N-S. You can get there by using the road from Chite to Beznar. It was made of beaten earth and a great number of ceramic remains signify that it was inhabited for a long period of time. It probably controlled the passage between Granada and the coast.

Dúrcal Go to Top Return

Parish Church (16th century) was built on an old cemetery and has undergone many transformations in its history. It is of primitive construction only the nave is covered by a wooden ceiling. It is now a cross shape with three naves separated by arches supported by pillars.

Ermita de San Blas (16th century)

Lata Bridge. Made in Belgium by the Lecoog Factory of chromed steel in was first in Gor for 21 years before being moved to Durcal in 1924. It is 270 metres long and was designed by one of those taught by the architect Gustaf Eiffel.

"Mahina" or Margena Fort is to be found in the Vega de Margena, and shows the remains of a Nazari tower.

El Castitllejo o "Peñón de los Moros", possibly from the Nazari epoch ity is a small fort with a cistern, tower and a passage to the river. This fort dominates a vast xpanse of the Lecrin Valley. It is polygonal in shape and has the traces of a door.

Izbor Go to Top Return

Chruch of the Purísima Concepción with a single nave and the oldest parts from the Musselman era.

Nazarí Tower with a footprint of approximately 4 x 2.5 metres and could have been part of a wall. Now it is difficult to appreciate as there is a house annexed to it.

Melegís Go to Top Return

Church of San Juan Evangelista.(16th century.) Declared a national monument and built in the Mudejar style. It has a single nave with two chapels attached and a tower adorned with tiles. The altarpiece is from the end of the 18th century in the Baroque style. Among its numerous pieces is an Inmaculad of Alonso Cano.

Saint of the Wheat-threshing Circle has a pretty stone pavement and nearby an ancient flour mill.

Houses with escutcheons (18th century)

Monument to the Hijones dedicated to the victims of the Spanish Civil War and inaugarated in 2002.

Mondújar Go to Top Return

Mondujar Parish Church, dedicated to the re-incarnation, with a single nave and a ceiling of wood in the Mudejar style. In the 17th century the roof was extended to fnish above the choir stalls.

Mondújar Castle sited on an elevated escarpment it is a model of Nazari castles of the middle of the 14th century, with the remains of a cistern. It was the property of the Nazari King Muley Hacem who had it built as a present for his beloved Zoraya. Nearby is the old Mondujar cemetery, thought to be the Nazari royal cemetery,

Roman Spa of Feche in which was found a batiful statue of Venus which is now in the Granada Archaelogical musuem.

Murchas Go to Top Return

Murchas Church

Lojuela Castle,is a fair distance from the village and one of the best preserved of its era. It has a central tower on a pronounced escarpment above the river and is surrounded by a wall following the various levels of the ground; in its ground have been found fragments of Islamic Roman and Iberian ceramics signifying its importance over the centuries.

Acequia de los Arcos from the Roman era, issituated below Lojuela castle. It takes water from the River Durcal and uses it to irrigate the lands around Melegis.

Nigüelas Go to Top Return

Church of the Virgen de las Angustias (16th century). A Mudejar temple with the nave separated from the main chapel.

Casa Zayas (16th century). Now housing the Ayuntamiento. It is recommended for a visit to enjoy its romantic garden.